Monday, April 20, 2009

Put my elbow where?

I wasn't sure if I wanted to write about this or not. But one of my first entries this year was talking about some things I want to try out this year. Not necessarily New Year's Resolutions, but new things. This wasn't on the list, but it is definitely new.

Last week my bookclub reviewed Breakfast with Buddha - a story of a happy-with-his-life Christian man who ends up re-evaluating his life while on a cross country road trip with a "buddha". One of my comments during our discussion was about how it made me want to try meditation. Want to try yoga. What?!? You're talking crazy Tommy. I was surprised to hear some of my friends agree - not that I was crazy, but that they felt somewhat inspired to try something "meditationy" too. And I almost fell on the floor when, by the end of that part of the conversation, Mondo and I had planned to try a yoga class.

Our friend Mary just happens to love yoga and even taught for a while. She mentioned a class she takes called Bikram Yoga. The recommended temperature for Bikram yoga is minimum 105F degrees and about 40% humidity. Mondo and I actually were aware of this when we followed through and met up with her tonight. I still can't believe it. There are twenty-six posture exercises and I admit, I had to sit and rest through more than a couple of them. I could feel my heart pounding and was sure you could see it beating right through my shirt.

I don't know exactly what I expected... To find out I am not flexible? Check! Haha! Really, although I haven't decided if I will go back yet, I am not totally opposed to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on starting yoga! That is awesome!
Tommy, I left a little present for you at this post:
http://stage3whome.blogspot.com/2009/04/im-not-worthy.html

Enjoy!

Lori Wilson said...

interesting. I've been thinking of trying yoga for sometime. I've always felt held back though because of my extremely right wing upbringing. But when I read my bible it says to meditate on the word of God. I think I'd be interested in trying yoga at some point. And if being more flexible were the only benefit at least my hubby wouldn't be complaining.