Saturday, January 3, 2009

Baked Potato & Bacon Soup

I wanted to make breakfast this morning... but I didn't get up in time AND we didn't have the stuff to make it.

Mondo called and asked what the plan was and I said "How about lunch? Potato soup?" He said "okay". Which was cool, cause then I was able to tell my dad to go to the store and get stuff so I could make Mondo lunch (he'll do anything to get his boy to come over).

I have this recipe for a sausage potato soup that I LOVE! It's my favourite! And I saw Paula Deen making some cheese soup the other day on Food Network that looked pretty good... so, I decided to kinda mix-n-match to make some Baked Potato and Cheese Soup. I thought it was good, a little salty - but I can adjust that next time. I'm also gonna mix it up a bit to make Broccoli-Cheddar Soup sometime too I think.

Not really a recipe for Baked Potato & Bacon Soup
Sauté a finely diced onion and 4-5 stalks of chopped celery in about 3 Tbs of butter. Add about 1/4 cup flour and sauté a few minutes longer. Add 2 cans of chicken stock about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of water. Add about 4 baking potatoes (chopped into large cubes). Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add about 1 to 2 cups cooked bacon pieces and 1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream. Add salt, pepper and cayenne to taste (remember, if you're eating with crackers - that will add salt). Continue simmering for 20 minutes. Add one cup of shredded cheddar cheese and stir until melted in. Serve garnished with green onions and oyster crackers. We didn't have any, but sour cream might be good too.

No comments: