Saturday, January 17, 2009

Good Company!

We (my brother Mario & his wife and me) really like hosting fondue parties in the winter. And I have to say, we've got the plan down pretty good. Tonight it was us, a couple of couples who work with us at Sun, my brother Mondo and a friend from out of town, Eden - who came in last minute.

Karen made some homemade crusts for the kids to make their own individual pizzas to enjoy while the adults fondued. Eden asked what she could do to help out, so I gave her a recipe for a mixed drink and she kept the glasses full all night long.

After dinner and dessert, me, Mondo and Eden headed out to meet some friends for a movie. I only went to spend time with Eden cause I really had no interest in seeing "My Bloody Valentine". Thank goodness it was sold out. We made a stop at Bar Louie and Rock Bottom while we were there though. Neither impressed me much. Actually, I am lying. After the gigantic dinner we had, we ordered a pretzel and it was good. Two gigantic pretzels with and artichoke cheese dip was pretty yummy.

So, anyway - thought I would let ya know how we do the fondue parties :
  • We extend the invitation to 8 adults. This works for several reasons. 1 - We have 8 fondue plates. 2 - Eight adults fit around the table nicely, and can share 4 pots easily. 3 - We have enough plugs for 4 pots. 4 - We can actually enjoy conversation with 8 people pretty easily. 5 - It's a good number to break up the food list with.
  • We make a sign-up sheet for the following;
    • Meats: Chicken Breasts, Beef, Large Raw Shrimp (cut into 2x2" pieces / peeled & deveined) - I only say "raw" because once, someone brought cooked shrimp.
    • Veggies: Broccoli, Zucchini and Mushrooms.
    • Dessert: Chocolate Chips, Heavy Whipping Cream, Strawberries, Rice Crispy Treats, Bananas.
    • Sauces: Hoisan, Hot Mustard, Tempura, Kung Pao, Sirachi, Plum, Peanut Sauce.
    • Peanut Oil & Tempura Batter
    • Fondue Pots, Extension Cords, Sauce Cups, Tempura Batter Cups, Fondue Plates, Raw Food Plates, Straining Spoons.
    • Wine! (I love Hogue Late Harvest Riesling)
  • We don't do cheese usually because there's enough food without it and when we first started doing these dinners, they took a looooong time.
  • If you want to do broth, cooking takes extra time. Look for a recipe that uses fresh herbs and spices instead of just using bouillon cubes.
  • Other Veggies - asparagus, pearl onions, bell peppers, cauliflower.
  • Other Dessert Items - caramel, pretzels, pineapple, pound cake (which I do not like and I do not put on the list, but everyone always asks for it - so maybe I will budge next time. We have never used a whole pound cake before and don't dip it right into the chocolate - it breaks off - ick!)
  • Peanut Oil is more expensive, but is said to have a higher smoking point.
Well, if you've never had one and you decide to have a party - let me know how it goes!

2 comments:

Lori Wilson said...

I think you need to add marshmallows to your dessert list. They've even got them in different flavors these days.

Tommy said...

Oh I forgot, they weren't on my list, but we did have marshmallows. And graham crackers - were they on the list??? Too much food!