Monday, January 19, 2009

Darren's Dinner...

I love three day weekends.

Today I gave Darren the wheel and asked him what he wanted to do. He chose a movie "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" and a fondue dinner.

I wasn't excited about seeing "Mall Cop", but I love watching and hearing him laugh, and this movie made him laugh. I love thinking that my son is going to be 13 years old soon, and he's not too cool to laugh. Or too cool to go to a movie with his mom. It was great.

After the movie we went shopping for fondue stuff (again). He was in a really good mood and didn't even complain that we had to stop at three stores to get all the stuff!

I talk about these amazing fondue dinners, but Darren never gets to go for a couple reasons -
1 - Hot Oil
2 - They're usually meant to be for an adult night out
3 - Hot Oil

Lately it seems that even though kids aren't sitting at the table with us for our dinners, they are attending. And it hasn't hurt anyone to let them try a piece or two themselves. Of course, dessert is something fun for pretty much all ages. So, I thought - what the heck. I'll do a small one and I can keep an extra eye on him and help him out as much as he needs it. He loved it! He was a bit afraid of the oil at first (probably because I scared him about how dangerous it can be), but he was really careful. He even tried broccoli and zucchini, which if you know Darren at all - you know it's very unlike him to mess with veggies.

It was a great day with my kid!

No comments: