Thursday, January 15, 2009

Memories...

I have a bad memory sometimes and oh, it really bugs me if I can't think of a name or a word that feels like it's at the tip of my tongue, and that's as far as it will ever get. I say the alphabet to myself to see if it will jog my memory. For names, it usually does, and I get all excited for a moment.

But there are memories that pop up without the help of the alphabet. Sometimes, when I am on my long drive home, alone with my own thoughts. The best are of the kids. My son, my nieces and nephews... and now my great nieces and nephew.

There was time, right after my nieces died that I had trouble thinking of specific memories of them and it broke my heart. I didn't understand why I couldn't remember things, knowing we spent so much loving time with each other. Then slowly, those memories would pop up into my mind and it would be like a gift from God. I think He was telling me, I only held it back because you couldn't have handled them all at once in your grief. And He was right.

So I decided that making memories is a part of a beautiful life and every now and then I will share them here. This is a favorite of my god daughter Leslie....

When she was about 5 years old, I took Leslie to the grocery store with me. She sat in the buggy while I pushed her up and down the aisles. I had a terrible headache that day and I stopped the cart and said "Gosh, I have a headache" as I rubbed my temples for a second and then continued shopping. The headache getting worse, made me stop again "Gee Leslie, I don't know what's wrong with me. I really have a bad headache. It really hurts". I felt as if I was going to cry sure that my head was about to explode.

My wicked god daughter, who was extremely quick and witty, immediately and dryly replied "I have a headache too and you don't see me whining about it."

Oh my God! I couldn't stop myself from laughing - which only added to the pain I was feeling and also brought on tears... but mostly out of joy.

1 comment:

Lori Wilson said...

this reminds me of a favorite poem by Shel Silverstein.

Frozen Dream

I'll take the dream I had last night
And put it in my freezer,
So someday long and far away
When I'm an old grey geezer,
I'll take it out and thaw it out,
This lovely dream I've frozen,
And boil it up and sit me down
And dip my old cold toes in.